After a long walk home from school in the rain, I opened the fridge, craving for something that can warm me up. Making a hot soup is a good idea, but I really needed a healthy plate of vegetables and fruits to make up for the vitamins I missed all day. So I decided to make something new – a warm salad. And it needed to be ready quickly as I had very limited time to spare before preparing for tomorrow’s tests.
Here is how I got to satiate my appetite in less than 20 minutes:
– One medium seedless cucumber
– ¾ cup of peeled baby shrimp
– One fresh mango
– One fresh avocado
– One cup of plain yogurt
– ½ cup of milk
– 1 teaspoon of sugar
– Boil two pots of water over high heat.
– Peel the cucumber, cut in slices, and add to boiling water over medium heat. When water boils again (in about 1 to 2 minutes), remove cucumber slices from the boiling water, and place on a plate.
– Add peeled baby shrimps to the other pot of boiling water over medium heat. When water boils again, continue boiling for another 1 to 2 minutes, then remove shrimps from the boiling water and place on top of the steamed cucumber slices in the plate.
– Peel the avocado, slice 3/4 of the avocado flesh into small segments, and place on top of the steamed cucumber slices and shrimps in the plate.
– Smash the remaining ¼ of avocado and mix with 1 cup of plain yogurt. Add ½ cup of milk and 1 teaspoon of sugar, and stir repeatedly to mix thoroughly.
– Spread the mixture on top of the cucumber, shrimp, and avocado. Toss and stir gently until the ingredients are mixed evenly.
– Peel the mango, cut out a few small dices and sprinkle over the salad.
The salad is now ready. The steamed cucumber slices taste soft and tender, giving off a warm and fresh feel that a cold salad does not usually provides, especially on a cold day. Next time when you feel cold, try this warm salad, it may give you a different tasting experience. Best of all, it will warm you up – in less than 20 minutes.